Hey guys, Just thought i'd post this up here, bit more of a completed project / story telling. A good mate of mine a few years back brought a 82(maybe83) Honda CX500 Custom for a bargain price (under $1k), all original and most of the bike was in quite good condition. What makes this motor unique is its a horizontally opposed 80 degree v-twin engine with the heads twisted at 22 degrees opposite to each other, its also shaft driven but there are a few bikes with that. The horizontal v-twin certainly sounds different compared to a regular 90 degree v-twin. Because it sat in a shed unused for about 10-15 years. Anyway, he finally got it on the road at the start of the year and was so stoked to ride it, its certainly a different kettle of fish and with a more unique motor than most other motorcycles out there. After he had it all rwc, left the original paint and everything, he rode it for about 2 weeks and on one particular ride to work, he noticed the temp getting up there. So he was able to put some water in the rad and get to work(not too far away) but sadly on his lunch break, he checked over the bike and the bike had prepared him a nice fresh creamy soup in the sump. Whilst he was surprised the bike prepared him a meal in a bowl already, he was rather upset. He gave me a call and i was there about an hour or so later on to pick it up and put it in the back of the ute. I got the bike back to my place where i started check over a few things, told him a couple of options it could be and he said replace the head gaskets and go from there. I said considering how old the motor is and since its out, freshen up the whole motor with some new seals and everything else to give it a bit better bill of health (rebuild heads, retain old valves if good, new stem seals, piston rings, timing chain etc....) anyway he was pretty set of just doing head gaskets, so took the heads apart, cleaned it all, new gaskets then reassembled it all. He started it and low and behold, still had his creamy soup. At this point it was apparent that a seal has gone or he had a more severe issue, i convinced him to let me tear down into it and freshen it right up, make it last another 20 years or more with the right care. He did oblige(it took a lot of convincing to get him to agree to all the work and little bits i wanted him to do) and more or less this is what followed. Just to report the bike is running very well now, has more poke and power than before. It runs so much quieter and smoother than previously its unbelievable, to the point you wouldn't think its the same engine. And to date, this would be one of his best bikes. Hope you guys enjoyed the story. So the work i did as follows : Full engine teardown. Heads check level and dye crack checked, new stem seals and springs pressure tested, valves light coarse and finely lapped to seat. New genuine piston rings, new rod bearings(couldn't locate new crank bearings), new timing chain, new timing chain guide, new oil pump chain. New stator. Full engine gasket and seal kit, including new mechanical seal. Lots of cleaning of internals and internal channels/passages. Full exterior clean, prepared and repainted entire engine, hand painted Honda detailing Mechanical fan to electric fan conversion (using donor suzuki across fan). Anyway here are the pics, most of it self explains it all. Just a few points to note, The tool that locks cam and crankshaft is no longer available and i made up the equivalent, This has a few very precise points or mainly the drill holes and the tooth to mesh with the gears with no slop. The gearbox is a cool feature, literally removing the entire assembly. There is a good reason why if you must remove the rear case, you would most definitely do the mechanical seal if you dont know when it was ever done or is anywhere near this dirty. The before and after pics of this speak for themselves.