I first saw this bike about ten years ago, being ridden by a mate. It looked great with it's bold red colour and Marlboro livery. Little did I know that nearly a decade later - I'd be the one bringing it back to its former glory. There are a lot of things going for this bike. It was last registered in 2011, but rego was not renewed in 2012. With just over just 42,000 Km on the clock, it's been in a garage collecting dust since late 2011. All through it's storage time, it has been sitting idle, neglected and not started once. Mechanically, It seemed sound. From the service history I was given when I picked up the bike, which covers from 2005 onwards, and the last 26,000 Km, it's always been well maintained, only had two owners, and by all accounts, has been very reliable. Some basic checks when I got it into my garage revealed that Coolant was still green, and only a bit of rust was apparent in the bottom of the coolant recovery tank. Engine oil and filter when emptied were surprisingly clean as well - I was starting to think that it may have been serviced just prior to it being mothballed, and a deeper analysis of the service history told me that it had done just 3,000 Km since it's last oil, filter and coolant change before put into storage... The air filter was pristine, and the fuel filter looked brand new. There was still brake fluid in both reservoirs, brake pressure held and both front and back brake pads look like they have heaps of pad left. It wasn't leaking any fluid onto my garage floor, which is always a good sign. The main problems were always going to be the fuel tank that rattled when empty - what looked to be what was left of a tank re-seal job gone wrong, and the carbies.. Eight years of inactivity, not being drained or prepared before storage was always going to be a challenge. After removing the spark plugs and pouring some engine oil in the cylinders for a day or so I felt like I was in a position to try and turn it over.. A new battery gave the electrical system some life and amazingly, everything electrical apart from one blinker (which was disconnected) worked first go! With the spark plugs still out, and some rag positioned and ready to catch the ejected oil, I hit the starter button and it it turned over effortlessly.. Plugs back in - dodgy gravity fed fuel tank set up with some new fuel hose and a new filter, and let see if this starts. It tried and tried and tried.. nothing.. A bit of Aerostart into the airbox and it kicked! A fine adjustment to the choke and it was running! Happy days.. of course, it would idle roughly, and then stall. It wouldn;t run without the choke, and I was unable to get a rev out of it - which I put down to the carbies being gunked up. At least it goes! That's where I am at the moment. I'm currently getting the carbies cleaned and rebuilt, and the fuel tank has been thoroughly de-rusted, cleaned and re-sealed. I might be able to get this back on the road with a minimum of fuss. Once it's registered and rideable, I'll get a good sense of what I need to do next. New tyres, wheel bearings, brakes, forks, compression tests, valve clearances and some fairing repairs are all on the list of things to do in the next few months.