Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Your 250cc Projects' started by Murdo, Aug 17, 2016.
I had one of those... mine was a 1300cc - good for carrying the drum kit....
Look's like Ford Wild Violet ?
I sprayed a mate's ZX-6R that colour a few year's ago, he loved it
No, definately Mulberry Metalic. Was a popular colour for Fords back in the early 1970's.
Are you racing at Gunnedah this weekend?
No next weekend, if it doesn't rain.
My mistake. Hopefully weather holds off. Saw this car at the Winternats yesterday and I had a feeling it had raced at Gunnedah...look familiar?
Yep, Phil Penny from Kempsey.
1965 Honda S600, now fitted with 2JZ Toyota with huge turbo.
Cannot remember his times, but he runs 180mph on the 1/4.
Under 6 seconds on the 1/8th mile if I remember correctly
Took the little CBR to the Gunnedah 1/8th mile drag races. Weather cloudy and cool but no rain all weekend. If you have been reading this post you will know that the bike is mechanically stock, I have just removed all the bits not required for it to run. The 'ballast' on top is a bit on the heavy side too.
The first runs were all in the mid 11 second range with low 90's kmh, but by the finals on Sunday I had improved to 10.91 @ 99.7kmh, reaction time of 0.057 and 60ft of 2.43sec ,so happy with that. I found that leaving the line at around 8,000 rpm gave me better control of the clutch slip (I had tried at 12/13000 and the clutch was too 'grabby' to control, either wheel up or bogging) and changing up at 15,000 was slightly quicker than going right to redline. I was changing into fourth gear about 30 metres from the line (I tried holding third longer but it was slower) so I think the gearing is pretty close. I will start on the improvements now that I have a baseline to work from.
Have brought my spare engine (actually the one from this frame) in and started on a rebuild. The engine had done a lot of Kms and was an oil burner and had very little compression when I got it. I stripped the head and re-cut the valves and seats. Took the dremel and cleaned up the ports too.
First matched the head to the intake rubbers. You can see the 'step' that the gasses have to go around to get into the ports.
With the rubbers matched I removed the big casting lumps in the ports and smoothed the rest to help with the airflow.
There is a step at the back of the valve insert that I will grind out too.
The exhaust ports were choked with carbon (burnt oil, must have been like a two stroke to follow) and took some cleaning out. The amount in the ports would have reduced the amount of gas they could flow.
Ordered a set of +.50mm pistons to bring the bores back to correct clearances after a re-bore.
With all the head work I am planning to do I decided to build something to hold the head at a more comfortable angle in the vice. I scratched around in the scrap pile and found a piece of 38x38x5mm angle, a piece of 30mm square tube and an old broken Ford engine mount. Welded the mount to the square tube, drilled the angle for both sides of the head (and also to suit the FZR head used as a model) and found two 8mm SHCS to bolt the head to the angle. I cut a 3mm thick rubber washer to help hold the angle secure.
Held in the vice will allow adjustment to get the right height for comfortable working.