End of year update ..... I'm going to try use less words and more pictures Carbs are back together and bench sync'd using a round feeler gauge. Diaphragms seating issue resolved by cleaning any trace of INOX around the rim and trying numerous times to get a consistent 'woosh' across the 4. Carbs bagged up and stored while I move on to other things ... I wanted to check the valve clearance and leak test the motor and, i also wanted to clean the rest of the motor before I went ahead and found these adjustable feet which served as a carb intake plug, also found 16mm chair tips to block the crankcase breather hose. after yet another wash (I've fast forwarded a few steps here in stripping the rad and cam cover): Dropped the oil which looked pretty good - appears like good quality red stuff and no real particles to speak of. Coolant wasn't too bad either. Picked up one of these to do a leakdown test, I figure I can use the adaptors and buy a higher PSI gauge with a check valve if I want a compression tester also. CR8E plugs were found to be installed instead of CR9E's Today was clearance measuring day, below are the results - I will check again to make sure I measured correctly. One thing i'm not sure is the cam timing marks - I believe this should be #1 TDC on the compression stroke, however I'm not convinced the cams are lined up correctly.... I also noticed that depending on the crank position, the chain is noticeably tighter and looser - apart from a tensioner or chain issue, I don't see what else could explain that. Last pic shows where the chain has given the cam cover a little kiss.