Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Other Projects - Other Bikes (non 250's)' started by Andych, Jun 28, 2020.
my upholsterer charges me almost that to supply and fit the vynil
Update time... so, One of the frames was a write-off... welded up and twisted.
When I started cutting it up to try and get the swing arm out (still havent managed that) one of the front fame rails sprung a full 25mm when cut through.. anyway. Engine and all the useable bits were packed onto the shelves last weekend.
Today I decided to pull the good one apart so I can get the frame blasted etc and have one set of fork legs chromed and straightened..
It all came apart quite easy compared to the other one.. although I find that I need to do a little bit on the frame.
The rear hoop has been bent upwards by around 30mm which makes it so the new seat wont fit.
Plenty of heat and a large bar should resolve the issue I think.
Here are the frames (well what is left of one) side by side. The top one is the cut up frame (but the seat fits perfectly).
I am not really sure how you manage to bend that rear hood up like that.. lol
I also grabbed an Aerosol Can of DNA Custom Paints Silver Flare base coat to test out for colour matching...
A very quick sand on one of the tanks and a bit of undercoat... then one coat of Silver Flare..
You can see the original colour at the lower rear of the tank...
About 10 minutes later another coat.. this time trying to match up and blend with the original colour.
Looks to be close enough for me..
Last thing I found.. when I went to pack up all the bits I grabbed the exhaust and found the head end to be severely restricted...
It should just have the 2 split collars like all Honda's.. the poor engine would have not had any power at all... so it will be interesting when I pull the engine down.
Never seen a piece like that in an SL pipe.
Had me beat too... maybe they did that to counter not having the spark arrester in the Muffler.
I decided to strip the forks today so I can get the inners re-chromed... should be nice and easy... HA.
AS with most of this bike.. somebody has been there before... slipped the dust covers off and there are bits of twisted rag underneath to soak up the oil leaks...lol
Then I find that the capscrew's have already been butchered.. so time to break out the drill... and then it is all cleaning and more cleaning...
Finally got them all apart and clean.. well mostly clean.
The lowers will need a good sanding and then paint.. or possibly polishing (probably paint).
the fork tubes will be dropped off to A1 Hardchrome in Lidcombe for re-chroming and straightening.. (of course they were bent... why would they be straight) and I will check for local seals and new capscrews and washers (yep, they werent there).
This is how they looked before starting
And after a couple of hours...
The remains of the capscrews...
I will probably drop the frame and swing arm in to be blasted and powder coated this week as well.. if I can get the swing arm bushed out.. depends on how cold it will be in the evenings.
I left the swingarm bushes in mine, just a large washer each side with a bolt/nut to hold them in.