Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Other Projects - Other Bikes (non 250's)' started by Andych, Jun 28, 2020.
What size is it, i might have one spare ?
Apparently a Motion-Pro 08-0015 fits although Honda say it is a 16mm box spanner. I will measure it later after my daughter and partner have been over.
Measured it up as best I could and it is approx 25mm OD with a 21mm id which seems to match that Motion Pro tool.
I can get one on eBay for $28 and some change... might just grab that and then I have one...
Special socket arrived yesterday and made it super easy to get the Centrifugal filter off... clutch pack looks ok but I will need to measure it up. Interior looks to be nice and clean really.. hopefully all the gears and output shaft are fine.
Hopefully I will be sand blasting bits like the bash plate and chain guards etc on the weekend.
When does daylight saving start again??? Oct 4th cant come quick enough for me...
Hmm seems that somebody has been in the engine before... there should have been a circlip holding the clutch pack onto the shaft... not there on this one, I wonder what else will be missing lol
Frame was back from the blaster last week and immediately wiped down and then Etch Primed... the I dug out most of the bits that need to be blasted (forgot the air box though) and had a heap of fun (not) with the blast cabinet.
So swing arm, bash plate, chain guides, side stand, footrest bracket and the top triple all had their turn on the blast cabinet today... I only have glass bead and it is pretty much past it now so it took quite a while..
Happy with the results.. everything other that the top triple has been etch primed and will have a couple of coats of Eastwood Satin Chassis black (2K).
This is how most of the bits started out...
I also finished splitting the cases and the gears have all their own teeth plus the output shaft seems to be in pretty good condition as well... everything just needs a good clean (read time consuming), new bearings and seals in the gearbox and a rebore or even a new barrel and piston (probably cheaper than a rebore and new piston to be honest).
I am surprised there wasnt more damage inside... what with the sloppy cam chain, no retaining circlip on the clutch and a bent nail to retain the chain tensioner guide in place of an E-clip. Obviously they lost the E-clip and it was easier to drill a hole and insert a bent nail... WTF.
Don't forget to put those funny shaped washers back into the fork pinch bolts of the top fork clamp as without them there is a big chance of snapping the alloy casting.
Yep... the D washers are put to one side... with all the bits for plating.
So... frame, swing arm and most of the other bits that need to be black are painted... I went for Satin Black chassis paint from Eastwoods.. the 2Pak stuff in the Aerosol... I think next time I will do it with a spray gun to be honest..
Mounted up the front forks, swing arm (temporarily) with a single rear shock just to keep it up and then threw a set of old rims on it just to make it mobile again... It will now live in the main garage while I alternate between the SRX and doing the engine for the SL125.
Managed to chip some paint on the swingarm putting the bushes in... grrrrr
The engine cases came up ok... they will end up painted.
This gives an idea of how manky the engine was externally.. wasnt too bad inside apart from some bodgy work by a PO.
The clutch cover will be polished as will the generator cover and the points cover.. all the rest will be painted.
Still plenty to do on it but for now the frame is mobile and it is a good place to put the seat and the best of the tanks.. just to keep them out of the way.
Still need to sort wheels, tyres, paint rear shocks and engine assembly (bearings and cam chain needed for that)
Looks a little strange with only one rear shock but it is mobile at least
This arrived today... time to source some bearings I think.
Pretty good delivery really. 10 days from Order from China currently is not too bad.
Local bearing shop has the 3 bearings I need (love these little Honda transmissions) and the seals and there is rain predicted for the weekend... might have to alternate engine building with Bathurst watching
So... what to do to remove the ONLY blind bearing in the SL125 when your MAPP torch just cant get enough heat in to the area to move it... crank up the Weber of course... about 180 C for 10 minutes and said bearing just lifts out with a pair of long nosed vice grips... easy peasy...
The funny part is that Honda have the bearings on back order from Japan at around 6 weeks at present... the 3 of them as well as all the oil seals I need are ex stock at my local bearing shop.
Now if my cam chain comes tomorrow..........
Whipped the valves out of the head today... fearing the worst as the exhaust was badly plugged. Happy to say that the valves are fine... and apart from a build up of carbon in the exhaust port the head looks in good condition.
I was quite surprised at how good the valve faces are to be honest. Plus the guides are nice so it should be an easy rebuild once I can finish cleaning it up.
The head cleaned up better than this... the rust is after it was in the Wet Blaster yesterday... but all cleaned up now.